top of page

Metabolism- What Is It and How Can I Improve It

Updated: May 1, 2023

Many of my clients were initially overweight, not all, but most were. In fact, more than 80% of my clients came to me to help them lose weight. The other 20% is a mixture of people who want to live longer, eat healthier, , or who just want to live a healthy, energy-rich life.

Today, I'm going to focus on helping those people who want to lose weight but struggle with a slow metabolism. First and foremost, if you're overweight, there's a very good chance that you have a slow metabolism! I know that might not be shocking to you. You may have already thought that you had a slow metabolism, but here's why I'm re-stating it...

Having a slow metabolism means that you can eat 'only a little food' and still gain more weight than your neighbor who eats far more than you every day of his or her life.

Metabolism describes all the chemical processes that goes on continuously inside your body to keep you alive and your organs functioning normally, such as breathing, repairing cells and digesting food. Your metabolism regulates how your body burns food for fuel and how it converts that food into energy. These include the thyroid, pancreas, stomach, small and large intestines, and the colon.

When you have a slow metabolism there's a good chance that one of more of these systems is out of balance or just plain not working properly (and that's almost always due to improper living, disease, drugs, or a severe accident).

So how do you overcome the battle of a slow metabolism? Here are 10 Strategies from Registered Dietitian Heather West that you can incorporate into your daily routine:

7 Easy Ways to Boost Your Metabolism (Backed by Science)

  1. Eat Plenty of Protein at Every Meal. Eating food can increase your metabolism for a few hours. ...

  2. Drink More Cold Water. ...

  3. Stand up More. ...

  4. Drink Green Tea or Oolong Tea. ...

  5. Get a Good Night's Sleep.

  6. Drink Coffee (but not too much -:)

  7. Replace Cooking Fats with Coconut Oil

By Incorporating these small strategies into your daily routine, you will be on your way to a healthy metabolism and begin to shed those unwanted pounds, gain energy, and feel great.


bottom of page